Sunday, June 16, 2013

When do you outsource social media?

Don't outsource your core competency.

It's a pretty big battle cry for the modern organization, and it makes sense in most traditional areas. My company is currently looking at options for outsourcing our social media presence. As a non-profit, our product is content and relationship management.

The reason we're headed this way with outsourcing is mainly a headcount issue.  I oversee our online presence, and we simply don't have the time or personnel to adequately progress the consistency, quality, and measurement of our social presence.

So my boss and I started looking into ways that the day-to-day, cadence-type things could be maintained, as well as the metrics of it all.  We're very protective of our brand and voice, so partnership with a vendor would mean extensive tests and trials before anything actually happened.

I think it's the right move, mainly because it's where our audience is and I can't capitalize on our potential on my own.  The real questions are:

  1. How much control can/should I give up?
-In some ways, I like having control because it is ultimately my responsibility. However, if I'm micromanaging the process, then it's not really benefitting me.
  1.  How much should this cost? 
-two stages: triage (getting everything up to speed) and ongoing maintenance.  Depending on who I talk to, it's anywhere from a couple hundred bucks to $20,000/month.  My company knows it's valuable enough to have it as a part of my job responsibility, but now the real ROI measurement kicks in.

What do you think? Because social media deals with your company's voice and overall brand, is it a risk to entrust it to a third party?  Or is it riskier when it's just one of my priorities?


2 comments:

  1. Great post, AJ! I do agree that there is a fine line. I think it is important that when you are outsourcing your social media tasks to an outside company, that it is crucial to choose the right company, who has worked with non-profits and clearly understands your company's voice and message. Much like consultants, they have to understand and tailor their deliverable to meet your company's needs and expectations. If the content they intend to disseminate is not aligned with your company's mission and message, then that is where problems begin. Providing guidance or reviewing their track record with other non-profits would certainly be useful.

    I think it is extremely critical to choose the right vendor for the job and to have key staff from your team monitor and provide feedback about the content that is posted.

    I do think that there are benefits to outsourcing social media or even consulting with a company to roll out your company's social media campaign, as they may have unique, new ideas which could work for your company. Additionally, it allows your you and your company to focus on strategies and direction, while the outsourcing company is making it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you’re looking for the best social media management company then it is the best solution for you.which is a well-known and trustworthy.

    ReplyDelete