Monday, September 2, 2013

Update 9/2: Walking Together


I went back to work on Friday, and I must say I didn't get too much done. It was great to see all my coworkers who have been praying for us for the last couple of weeks.  The funny thing is, everyone was wearing yellow shirts, even on a video conference call I had with the lovely folks at Hampton Creative.  I had no idea why, until my bossman Steve informed me that yellow is the official color of pediatric cancer.  Probably something I should've known. Anyway, blown away by that, and I continue to be floored by the support, prayers and help from family and friends.

I am loving the prayers that have been sent so far to imogenclairepassman@gmail.com.  So great to read, and I can only imagine what it will be like for Imm to read them later. Keep 'em coming!


The weekend has been a whirlwind.  A good one.  Imogen has done incredibly well since we got home.  She hasn't gotten sick yet, no fevers, and she has been walking more and more. There's still a pronounced limp, but she is now walking on her own (and is very proud of herself, as you can imagine.) She even went down the slide by herself.  We definitely still have a long road with her legs, and we're trusting she'll regain full functionality.

Speaking of that, Imogen's great grandma and her friends up in Ohio are all wearing pretty pink bracelets for Imm, there might be an Imogen night at one of our favorite pizza joints soon, and  our house is overrun with bunnies, bears, princess books and all other sorts of stuffed lovelies.

There's something about being home. We decided that the wheelchair isn't even allowed inside the house, and that has surely paid off. Aaron is as active and hungry as ever, and I believe that he's helped Imogen settle in even more by taking away some of the attention.


A couple of quick things to note:

1. For those who were interested in bringing us meals and run errands, THANK YOU THANK YOU! We're finding out that the day can get away from you with all this going on, and it's taking time to settle back into any semblance of normalcy. We still have no idea how to ask for or even organize the things we need, but it's a great problem to have!

2. For those who are constantly praying for us, THANK YOU THANK YOU! I'd ask that you add a couple people we are praying for.  A couple days before Imogen went to the hospital, we found out our neighbor Jill was also diagnosed with cancer.  Crazy timing, I know.  Please pray for her and her family as well.  Also, my coworker Caleb has had a crazy couple of weeks, as his beautiful daughter Leena was diagnosed with diabetes.  She's close to Imogen's age, and I know it's a huge life shift for them.

3. Tammy is awesome. Before we went to the hospital, our kitchen was getting some repairs and upgrades, so a lot was unfinished.  Yesterday, Tammy finished the backsplash grouting completely on her own.  Mad skills.

4. We like visitors, and we really like visitors who give us a heads up. :) Everyone's been great so far, so don't be scared of seeing us. I'll tell you if you should come by later, believe me.

5. Our routine is beginning. This week, Imm will have her first weekly blood draw, and her second round of chemo is in two weeks. We're hitting the days where she could still feel the chemo hit her, so pray for strength and no fevers!

Also, I hear that September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month. Go figure.  I think we can all agree that I'm very aware of it already.  That's about it. Hoping to post some stories and memories from our time at CHOA in the next couple of days.  These last two weeks have been the hardest of my life, but they've also been my proudest.  Proud of my family, proud of my friends. There is truly a peace and a joy that doesn't make sense without Jesus. There's nothing better than waking up with hope and seeing His hand in so many situations.  More on that later.  For now, I need to go to the store to get milk, and maybe some shirts in my new favorite color.

Slide buddies

Princess story time

Loved our visit from Sarah and her mom Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment